Some of you may have read some of these previously so I hope you will enjoy a second read. These little stories test me so 😉 And I apologize for the formatting, I just cannot figure out how to fix it.
- BIRD ON A WIRE
- Wooden clothes pegs in mouth, cold-reddened hands pinning laundry on the line. A meagre sun seeps between frustrated clouds. She carries the stiffened clothing gloveless, her tiny frost-bitten feet shoeing deep Ontario snow back into the house, the incisive eye of one lonesome bird on a wire her undoing.
- DON’T EAT THAT
- Don’t eat that, Joe said. Danny swiped melon juice off his chin with one sleeve. Do you know humans eat two pounds of dirt before they die? Joe glanced from Danny to the watermelon, flicked off the ants and bit in.
- |RECURRING DREAMS
- People race to safety of churches on hills. All I can do is say there is nothing we can do but wait. They look for comfort and direction when I have none myself. I reassure them all will be well. But I’m not really sure.|
- I MOVE ON
- Trust me, I know how to navigate troops through broken eggshells. I move on tenterhooks slightly suspended over the realities until the penny drops. I can move on a dime if I have to. Address unknown.
- WAKE UP
- My older brother’s eyes were wide open and my little brother watched us both as I wiped the warm blood from my upper lip with the hem of my white T-shirt. Wake up, I said again. What the hell is going on, he demanded, finally. He always woke up swinging.
Blindsided by lob: 20+ year close friend chasing my separated ex while feigning friendship for months, siphoning off me like thief to gas, bolstering her position. Ball hit me so hard, I need a match.|
- Your smile shivered me above all the rest. At last. I found a genuine, soulful man who wanted only a genuine soulful woman. Then I saw you in my car with her and knew it was not the gold in you but the cold.
- ALL THE WAY
- You asked if I was certain, I asked you the same. You said yes and put the gun to your head. With your life in pieces around me, all I wanted to scream was I lied, I wasn’t certain, please come back to me.
- THE SECOND TIME AROUND
- I forgive you before you even call. Every single time. It doesn’t matter why you stopped talking to me again, deleted me from your Facebook. It doesn’t matter what you do or say. I love you. You are my sister.
- I HOPE
- The pillow was dented where her head should be. Teddy was gone, too. The front door was wide open, rain pelting in. I hope, oh, three years of this – I don’t know what I hope. There Mother was, fast asleep cuddling bear, the porch swing stilled by their weight.